An official army family and MWR Site

Masks are required when visiting Waller Hall.

Army Emergency Relief (AER)

AER Appointments

  • By Appointment (intakes & returns): AER is by appointment for intake or returns. Call our office to schedule.

  • Walk-ins (emergency travel): Walk-ins are available for emergency travel (Red Cross messages death or illness), privation due to floods, fires or natural disasters.

Army Emergency Relief (AER) Overview


Army Emergency Relief is the U.S. Army's own nonprofit organization dedicated to alleviating financial distress on the force. AER provides grants and zero-interest loans to Active Duty and Retired Soldiers and their Families. Over 4 million Soldiers supported since 1942. AER officers are conveniently located at installations around the world. Visit to learn more.

Education Programs

AER’s Education Program is a secondary mission to help Army Families with the costs of education. The three separate scholarship programs are:

Stateside Spouse Education Assistance Program
• Applicant must be the Spouse or widow(er) of an active duty or retired Soldier and reside in the United States. 
• Stateside applicants must be full time students. 
• First undergraduate degrees only.
• Active duty military personnel are not eligible.

Overseas Spouse Education Assistance Program Major General James Ursano Scholarship Fund for Dependent Children.

Overseas Spouse Education Assistance Program 
• Applicants must be a Spouse of an active duty Soldier assigned in Europe, Korea, Japan, or Okinawa. 
• Applicants must physically reside with the Soldier at the assigned location. 
• First undergraduate degrees only.
• Off post students are not eligible.
• Spouses may be part time or full time students.

Major General James Ursano Scholarship Fund for Dependant Children 
• Dependent children, stepchildren, or legally adopted children of Army Soldiers on active duty, retired or deceased while in active duty or retired status.

The children of Grey Area Reservists/National Guard are eligible as well.

Scholarship awards will be awarded up to half the cost of tuition. Scholarship awards are based on financial need, as evidenced by income, assets, Family size, and special circumstances.

Applications and instructions are available for all the scholarships on the AER website at

AER Resources and Forms

View all AER forms. 

What AER Can & Cannot Do

AER can help with emergency financial needs for:

  • Food, rent or utilities
  • Emergency transportation
  • Funeral expenses
  • Emergency medical/dental expenses
  • Emergency needs when pay is delayed or stolen
  • Give undergraduate-level education scholarships, based primarily on financial needs, to children of Soldiers
  • Provide spouses of active duty Army Soldiers and widow(ers) of Army Soldiers financial assistance to further their education via the AER Stateside Spouse's Education Assistance Program (SEAP)

AER cannot:

  • Finance ordinary leave or vacation
  • Pay fines, divorce or legal fees
  • Help liquidate or consolidate debt
  • Assist with house purchase or home improvements
  • Help purchase or lease a vehicle
  • Cover bad checks or pay credit card bills (including the Government Travel Card)
AER Eligibility and Assistance

Who does AER help?

  • Active duty Soldiers (single or married), and their dependents
  • Members of the Army Reserve National Guard (ARNG) and the U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) on continuous active duty under  Title 10 orders for more than 30 consecutive days and  their dependents
  • ARNG and USAR Soldiers who retired at age 60 and their dependents
  • Surviving spouses and orphans of Soldiers who die while on active duty or after they retired. Survivors can contact JBLM Survivor Outreach Services at 253-967-3672/966-5047 for assistance.

What type of assistance does AER provide?

  • An interest-free loan or a grant, if repayment of loan will cause undue hardship (determined by the AER Officer on a case-by-case basis), or
  • A combination of a loan and grant (determined by the AER Officer on a case-by-case basis)

Is there a dollar limit on AER assistance?

No, AER assistance can meet your qualified, emergency need.

How long does it take to get AER help?

Depending on the nature of your requests, it may take 1-2 business days.  

What you should bring to AER

When visiting AER you should bring the following:

  • Military ID card
  • Most recent end-of-month Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) and mid-month (if applicable)
  • Emergency Leave form (DA Form 31) or PCS orders
  • Substantiating documents related to the assistance your are requesting (i.e. major car repair estimate, rental agreement, eviction notice, utility bill, disconnection notice, etc.)
  • Retirement Statement Account (RSA)

AER referral forms are online, but it is important you complete the correct form. Before you download and complete a form, please visit AER to confirm which form is required. Forms include:

You may complete an AER intake sheet, which will be completed before or during your appointment with an AER officer.

How to request assistance & AER requirements
  • Soldiers in the grades of E-1 through E-4 in Initial Entry Training (IET) are not authorized direct access, and should submit AER requests through the unit Chain of Command.
  • All Soldiers in the grades of E-1 through E-4 must have a minimum of 12 months' Time in Service (TIS) and have completed IET, whichever is greater in order to be eligible for direct access.
  • Regardless of rank, financial assistance will be limited to two assistance requests (loan or grant) within a 12-month period without the Commander/First Sergeant review.
  • All Soldiers, regardless of rank, who exhibit "high risk" financial behavior IAW AR 600-85 and SecArmy Directive 2013-11, will require Company Commander/First Sergeant review before AER assistance will be considered.
  • If there is no military installation of any type within 50 miles of your location, AER has an agreement with the American Red Cross to assist Soldiers and their families. Click to find the Red Cross chapter nearest your location or call the American Red Cross 24 hour Emergency Communication Center at 877-272-7337. You may also go to Air Force Aid Society, Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance.
**New** Home Schooling Assistance Program - Update 1

AER Bulletin 07-2020-2 provides UPDATED guidance on the AER Home School Assistance Program. The updated guidelines for this special category of assistance is intended to assist parents of children who were affected by a COVID-19 school closure on or after 1 March 2020 and those who have selected the home-school, virtual/distance learning or hybrid program options for the upcoming Academic School Year (AY) 2020/ 2021.

Additionally, this guidance expands assistance to parents who were home schooling their children in grades K thru 12th prior to the COVID pandemic crisis in academic school years 2019/2020/2021.

Assistance may be provided as a loan, grant or combination of both to minimize any additional financial hardship on Soldiers and Families

Click HERE to read AER Bulletin 07-2020-02

Education Assistance

The Spouse Education Assistance Program (SEAP)

SEAP is a need‐based education program designed to provide spouses of active duty or retired Soldiers, and widows(ers) of Soldiers who died either on active duty or in a retired status with financial assistance to pursue a four year college degree.  The purpose of the program is to assist spouses/widows(ers) in gaining the education required to allow them to qualify for increased occupational opportunities. For more information about AER resources, please visit AER's website:

Educational Assistance for Dependent Children

Educational Assistance for Dependent Children is provided for Family members of active duty, retired or deceased Soldiers. The MG James Ursano Scholarship Program was established in 1976 as a secondary mission to help Army Families with undergraduate college expenses for their dependent children.  Scholarships are based on financial need, academics, and leadership/achievement for each academic year. For more information about Army Emergency Relief resources, please visit AER's website:

Useful Links

Integrated Personnel and Pay System – Army (IPPS-A) 

IPPS-A is a portal for Soldiers, which allows Soldiers to:

  • View their full personnel record and SRB 
  • Submit a Personnel Action Request
  • Update their own personal information for approval
  • Visibility of action from initiation to approval
  • Perform many other pay and personnel functions 

JBLM Finance
Type “DMPO JBLM” in search bar for most updated information in regards to Soldiers' DFAS pay documents required to turn in to their S-1s for processing to ensure entitlements start in a timely manner.

Annual AER Campaign

AER Campaign (Mar. 1-May 15, annually)

AER provides interest-free loans and grants during times of distress, as well as scholarships for spouses, surviving spouses and children. Contributions can be made via Personal Check, Allotment, Cash, and via Credit/Debit Card. All contributions are tax-deductible. Visit to contribute or for more information.   

Call +1(253)967-9852 for information about JBLM AER Campaign activities.

More Community Support