SHARP & SAPR
- SHARP (Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention Program)
The Armed Forces’ Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP) Program is the Armed Forces’ integrated, proactive effort to end the crimes of sexual harassment and sexual assault within our ranks. Sexual harassment and sexual assault have no place in the Armed Forces. If you have been the victim of sexual harassment or sexual assault, you have a voice, you have rights, and we’re here to help.
The Armed Forces’ SHARP Program also:
- Permeates the Armed Forces structure from the Pentagon down to the individual Soldier level.
- Has full-time military and civilian staff at the brigade level and higher.
- Promotes cultural change across the Armed Forces, with a vision toward a culture of dignity and respect in which Soldiers, Civilians and Family Members intervene in potential situations that could result in sexual harassment and sexual assault to protect one another.
- Includes a comprehensive effort to educate leaders and Soldiers about sexual harassment and sexual assault.
- Employs a concrete training program that teaches Soldiers and Civilians to be alert to serial offender tactics, to intervene to stop incidents and disrupt offenders, and where and how to seek help.
- Provides commanders with the essential resources, education, and training they need to succeed in bringing an end to sexual harassment and sexual assault within their units and build a command culture in which these crimes are not tolerated.
We have certified Sexual Assault Response Coordinators (SARCs) and Victim Advocates (VAs) available 24/7 to help with reporting, victim support, prevention, training, and awareness efforts.
For more information about SHARP, visit sexualassault.army.mil.
More Helpful Resources:
- U.S. Armed Forces Sexual Assault Prevention & Response Program
- U.S. DoD Sexual Assault Prevention & Response
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: +1 (800)656-HOPE (4673)
- Center for Sex Offender Management
- Men Can Stop Rape +1(202) 265-6530
- National Center on Domestic & Sexual Violence (military resources) +1 (512)407-9020
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center +1 (877)739-3895
- Rape Abuse & Incest National Network +1 (800)656-4673 ext. 3
- Rape & Sexual Assault: Reporting to Police & Medical Attention, 1992-2000, Bureau of Justice Statistics, US DoJ
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner/Sexual Assault Response Team
- Sexual Assault State Coalitions
- The Sexual Harassment and Assault Response Prevention (SHARP) Program (Lewis Main & North)
- Bldg 2013B, North 3rd Street, Room 210 (JBLM-Lewis Main)
- SHARP Resource Center, Bldg 2027C, Pendleton Avenue (JBLM-Lewis Main)
The Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP) Program is committed to eliminating sexual harassment and sexual assault by creating a climate that respects the dignity of every member of the Army Family. The SHARP program reinforces the Army's commitment to eliminate incidents of sexual assault through a comprehensive policy that centers on awareness and prevention, training and education, victim advocacy, response, reporting, and accountability.
Army policy promotes sensitive care and confidential reporting for victims of sexual harassment and assault and accountability for those who commit these crimes.
JBLM SHARP Victim Advocates can be reached 24/7 at +1(253)389-8469.
- Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (SAPR) Program (McChord Field)
SARC/Victim Advocates are certified through the National Organization Victim Assistance (NOVA) in Alexandria, VA.
- Bldg 100/STE 3024, McChord Field
We are on a mission to prevent and respond to sexual assaultthrough a balance of focused education, compassionate advocacy and social justice in order to promote respect and dignity throughout Joint Base Lewis-McChord.
Advocacy Services are confidential. Our clients are protected under Military Rules of Evidence 514. We offer the following non-judgmental support services:
- Safety planning
- Accompaniment to medical & legal proceedings
- Reporting Options
- Information & Resources
- Special Victims Council (private attorney/some restrictions may apply)
For assistance call +1(253)982-7272
- Sexual Assault Reporting
The JBLM SHARP office provides advocacy services to victims of sexual assault who are in the military and their immediate family members who are over the age of 18. Victim advocates are certified by the Department of Defense through the National Organization Victim Assistance (NOVA) in Alexandria, VA every two years. JBLM installation SHARP victim advocates are well trained and highly educated in the social services field.
Advocates can provide sexual assault victims assistance in the following areas:
- Sexual Assault Reporting Options
- Safety Planning
- Resources available for sexual assault victims
- Administrative, legal, and medical process in sexual assault cases.
- Accompaniment to administrative, medical, and legal proceedings
- Referral to counseling services.
SHARP Victim Advocates can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at +1(253)389-8469.
- Sexual Harassment Complaints
One-third of sexual assault cases begin as incidents of sexual harassment. As a military community, it is important to address sexual harassment complaints immediately when they occur.
The JBLM SHARP office will assist in finding the appropriate method for addressing the situation. For military personnel and their family members, the JBLM SHARP office can assist in the following areas:
- Guidance on how to address sexual harassment issues
- Formal sexual harassment complaint intake
- Informal sexual harassment case intake
- Advocacy in dealing with sexual harassment
- Referral to other agencies and resources as required
For assistance or information during office hours, please call +1(253)967-2072.
- SHARP Training & Events
Understanding the SHARP program and what role Soldiers, civilians, and leaders play in the prevention and response to SHARP issues is paramount to the success of the program. The JBLM SHARP office can provide all sorts of different training for the mandatory annual training for military and civilian employees.
- Commander and 1SG training
- Leadership training
- Family Readiness Group training
- SHARP Responder training on the role of the SARC and Victim Advocate
- Upcoming RAD Self-Defense Classes
For questions or to schedule a training event, please call +1(253)967-2072.
- Useful Links & Resources
For more information on the SHARP program within the JBLM community, please use the resources and links below:
- 24/7 JBLM SHARP Hotline (Sexual Assault Reporting): +1(253)389-8469
- DOD 24 Hour safe hotline: +1(877)995-5247
- Text: 55-247 (Within US)
Online DoD SafelineResources: DoD Safeline
DoD Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Information: DoD SAPR
Department of the Army SHARP website: DA SHARP
Thurston County Family Justice Center: TCFJC
Pierce County Sexual Assault Center: PCSAC
The Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP) Program is committed to eliminating sexual harassment and sexual assault by creating a climate that respects the dignity of every member of the Army Family.
If you need help now, contact the
24/7 JBLM Victim Advocate Hotline (Sexual Assault Reporting): +1(253) 389-8469