Cascade Traverse Registration
Are you up for a triathlon-type challenge using less-conventional means to explore lesser-known areas of JBLM? Then you’re going to enjoy Outdoor Recreation’s Cascade Traverse Challenge September 1–30!
Registration is open Aug. 15–31 at Northwest Adventure Center (registration is accepted in-person only); the cost is $30 per person. Registration is also open to youth ages 15 and younger; the cost is $20. Youth must be accompanied by a parent or guardian and have the ability to physically complete the challenges. Once you’ve registered, you’ll receive an event shirt, instructions and a map of locations to complete the event. Any rentals you need for the event will be free of charge.
Here’s what to expect:
- You’ll earn Fields of Friendly Strife points for your unit if you’re an active duty Service member or a family member. Points will be awarded for participation and mileage.
- You’ll be completing the first part of the challenge with a kayak, canoe or stand-up paddleboard around the American Lake shoreline at JBLM, a total of 1.5 miles. To use Outdoor Rec gear, please take the required free paddle sports safety course at boaterexam.com/paddling.
- Next, you’ll be mountain biking three laps around Engineer Bluff at Lewis Main for a total of just under 5 miles.
- Finally, you’ll go trail running at Porter Hills on a 1.75-mile route at McChord Field.
- At any of these locations, you’ll get additional points for finding and photographing our geocaches with the course completion (two extra points per geocache found; timestamps need to be on photos).
- Earn bonus points by completing the challenge Sept. 1–7 (10 points), Sept. 8–14 (seven points), Sept. 15–21 (three points) or Sept. 22–30 (one point).
- Complete the events and track or record your time and distance using an activity-monitoring device. Once you complete an activity, email your proof of completion to email@example.com. Submit all events by Friday, Sept. 30 and you'll receive a completion medal!
Make it extra-fun by gathering your group and doing each challenge together! For more information call 253-967-7744. RULES
Northwest Adventure Center (Lewis North)