Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)
- About EFMP
Why does EFMP exist?
To support an all-volunteer force and their families by ensuring Family members’ medical and educational needs are considered each time they process for an assignment where Family member travel is authorized at Government expense and related services are available within the local commuting area.
Who is eligible?
Spouses and children of Service Members (Active Duty, USAR, AGR, Title 10, Title 32) from all branches of services, who have medical conditions (physical, emotional, developmental, or intellectual) which require specialty care and also those who have special education needs.
What does EFMP do?
DoD EFMP Required Actions: Medical enrollment (DD Form 2792) signed by physician. Medical and Educational Enrollment (DD Form 2792-1) signed by a school for those who have an Individualized Education Program (IEP). Educational Enrollments are always and only considered for OCONUS.
EFMP Family Support Services: Offers specialized support to EFMP families on and off base with access to care, school support with special education and accommodations, federal and state benefits i.e. Social Security and Medicaid waivers for respite, inclusive and specialized recreation opportunities.
When is EFMP Required?
DoD EFMP Required Actions: Renew Enrollment every 3 years, for new diagnosis, if a change is needed to housing accommodations, specialists, and/or how often. Disenrollment may occur for divorce (court order provided), a child is no longer DEERS recipient or in the home, or when ongoing healthcare and/or school special education services are no longer required.
EFMP Family Support Services: Services are elective and may be accessed at any time. Service members are invited during in/out processing to provide their Family POC contact information to offer specialized support.
Where can I find EFMP Services?
DoD EFMP Required Actions: Military Treatment Facility, Madigan Army Medical Center Tower for Army and McChord Clinic for Air Force.
EFMP Family Support Services: Directorate of Personnel and Family Readiness for all branches (formerly known as Army Community Service and Armed Forces Community Service).
- Child Care & Respite Care
Child Care On Base
- Child & Youth Services Registration (Child & School Age Care, Hourly, Sports, SKIES)
Child Care Off Base
- ChildCare Aware (Military Fee Assistance)
Respite Care Military Programs
- Army EFMP Respite Care: +1 (253) 967-7166
- Air Force EFMP Respite Care: +1 (800) 424-2246
- Tricare ECHO Home Care & Respite
Respite Care Civilian Programs
- Education (IFSP, IEP, 504, IPE)
- Education Directory for Special Needs 0 to 21 by State
- Early Support for Infant and Toddlers (IFSP)
- Transition Planning Youth to Adulthood
- Individual Plan for Employment (IPE) for 13+ & Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)
- WA Code for IEPs (Adopted federal legislation, IDEA)
- DoED - 504 Guidelines
- 504 Accommodations for SATs
- Wrights Law
- Direct Steps
WA Parent Training Information Center:
- Federal & State Benefits
- Social Security FAQs
- ABLE Accounts tax-advantage savings for Disabled
- Military Survivor Benefits Plan (SBP) for Incapacitated
- Military SBP Annuity to Special Needs Trust (SNT)
- Free phones for SSI, Medicaid, food stamps, VA pension, or VA survivor recipients
Recommended sites from Seattle Childrens
- Center for Children with Special Needs, Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Family Doctor, American Academy of Family Physicians
- Kidshealth, by Nemours Center for Children's Health Media
- Medline Plus, National Institute of Health, US National Library of Medicine
- Health Information Translations
- I-LABS, 20 min child development modules by UW Institute for Learning & Brain Sciences
- Recreation (inclusive/specialized)
Upcoming JBLM EFMP Events
- Special Olympics of Washington
- Metro Parks Adaptive Recreation (Adults/Youth)
- Pierce County – Specialized Recreation
- Thurston County Specialized Recreation
- TrailLink (Wheelchair Accessible Trails)
- Washington Trails Association (Accessible Hiking)
- C.A.S.T. Fishing
- Washington Fish & Wildlife
- Ainsley's Angels of Washington (Races, Marathons)
- myTeam Triumph (Races, Marathons)
- Equest Special Riders
- Happy Trails Riding Center
- Footloose Sailing Association
- Outdoors for All Foundation
- Sensory Friendly Movies - AMC
- Unified Sports
- Safety Planning
- Emergency Preparedness Fact Sheets Topics A-Z (8 languages)
- Safety Planning & Emergency Checklist
- Make a Plan
- JBLM Alert Messages
- Local Alert Messages
- Medical Identification
- Locating Devices
- Safety Classes, Local Area (CPR, First Aid)
- Safety Classes, JBLM (CPR, First Aid): +1 (253) 967-5335
- Cyber Safety (Developmentally age-appropriate)
- Arc of Washington
- Exceptional Families Network
- Informing Families
- Pierce County Coalition for Developmental Disabilities (PC2)
- PAVE Community Inclusion (Pierce County)
- PAVE Community Inclusion (Thurston County)
- South Sound Autism Partnership
- South Sound Parent2Parent (Thurston, Mason, Gray Harbor Counties)
- Washington State Father’s Network
- EFMP Required Actions & Contact
Assignment Coordination, Enrollment & Disenrollment
- MTF EFMP Army POC: Madigan Army Medical Center
- MTF EFMP Air Force POC: McChord Clinic: +1 (253) 982-3350
- DD Form 2792, Family member Medical Summary (for Enrollment/Disenrollment)
- DD Form 2792-1, Special Education/Early Intervention Summary (for Enrollment/Disenrollment)
PCS Checklist & Overseas Screening
EFMP Reports for Units (per ALARACT 35-2011)
- EFMP Support Services & Contact
- E-mail EFMP
- EFMP – Lewis Main (Waller Hall): +1(253)967-7166
- EFMP – McChord: +1(253)982-2695
- Sign Up for JBLM EFMP Newsletter
- Follow us on Facebook
Schedule an Appointment
- EFMP in Waller Hall (Bldg. 2140, 2140 Liggett Ave.) on JBLM Main
- EFMP at McChord Field (Bldg. 100, 100 Col. Joe Jackson Blvd.) on McChord Field
- CARES (Bldg. 6993) by appointment only
Hours of Operation
|Monday||7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday||7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday||7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Thursday||7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Friday||7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
The Department of Defense offers EFMP Resources, Options, and Consultations through Military One Source 24/7.